Saturday, July 24, 2010

Backyard Camp Out!


Last night, as we were getting ready for dinner, Luke says to Rem "Hey bud how would you like to have a camp out in the backyard?" then, "Is that okay with you mommy?" Ha ha, of course it was alright with me, but I liked how that question was an afterthought to his impulsive blurt! So we ate our Delicious bbq'd elk steaks and, after picking up a lil dog doo, we started setting up our tent. It was pretty close to dark already, which made it a little more difficult to put the tent up than normal. We got out our sleeping bags and some ground pads and made up our beds. Remington brought out 5 or 6 books and we read them by flashlight and went to bed. It took about an hour for Rem to settle down enough to actually go to sleep, he kept saying "Mom, ummmmmmmmmmm, I miss you......(awkward smile)" I finally had to tell him to go to sleep, or we were going to go inside and sleep. If you know me, my idea of tent camping involves an air mattress. It seemed silly to set up our mattress for one night out in our own darned backyard, so I thought "Hey I am tough! I can handle one night sleeping on the ground." WRONG! I only lasted till about 1:00a.m. I told Luke that I couldn't handle it any longer, my back and hips were killing me, and took the dogs inside to sleep in my comfy bed. I felt a little bad bailing on The Remster on his first backyard camp out experience. Once my body hit the pillow top, didn't feel so guilty anymore! Remington and Luke made it to around 6:00a.m. and apparently Rem was awake and ready to play! Luke gets up for work everyday around 5:30ish and wasn't about to get up early on his day off. So, in comes Remington and Daddy to bed and we all slept till 8:30 this morn! It was a fun spur of the moment family activity, but I think next time we are going to go camping out in the woods ( and with an air mattress too! )
photo courtesy of: giessingerk

No comments:

Post a Comment